SOURDOUGH BREAD MAKING
Learn to make your own flavorful, long-fermented sourdough loaf!
Time & Location
May 16, 2021, 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM PDT
Live Online Event hosted on Zoom
About the Event
In this online workshop we’ll be demonstrating how to make a long-fermented sourdough bread loaf. What typically takes 3 days of fermentation will be expedited and demonstrated virtually so students can see first hand each step in the fermentation process. You can join us during class or simply watch, take notes and create on your own time!
Note: If participating, you will need to tend to your dough after class until 10pm PST, and bake your loaf the next day between 10am-2pm
What you’ll learn:
- How to prepare your sourdough starter for optimal leavening, mix your dough, the unique sourdough kneading technique of "stretching and folding", shaping the dough, proofing, all the way to baking!
- What tools you need for success
- What ingredients work best
What you’ll need to make a loaf with us:
- Active Sourdough Starter (fresh, live starter is available in-store or dehydrated starter available online but needs 5-7 days to activate))
- 1 bag of Whole Wheat Flour
- 415 grams Bread Flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Medium-large mixing bowl
- Silicone spatula or Dough scraper
- Bench Scraper (optional but recommended)
- Proofing basket or ~ 8” bowl or ~8” strainer
- Flour sack towel or tea towel
- Access to an internet ready computer or tablet
If using, be sure to activate your dehydrated starter culture at least 1-2 weeks prior to class
- Feed your activated starter the morning before class. Let sit out at room temperature for 8+ hours. Feed again at night.
- On the morning of class ~ 10am, combine 25 grams of your active starter (fed the night before), 50 grams warm water and 50 grams whole wheat flour in a wide mouth pint or quart jar; mix until combined. Let sit out at room temperature for ~7 hours. This is what we call the "leaven".
- Give your remaining starter another feeding and refrigerate for the next use.
- At 5pm (30 min before class) combine 350 grams warm water and all 125 grams "leaven" in a large mixing bowl. Using your fingers, gently pull the leaven apart and dissolve in the water. Add 415 grams bread flour plus 30 grams whole wheat flour. Mix until incorporated completely (it will look shaggy, but the goal is no dry flour pockets). Cover bowl with a towel and leave in a warm place to ferment for one hour.
- Have 2 tsp of sea salt ready to mix in during class and a small cup of water for dipping your hands into!
How the online workshop works
- We’ll email you a registration confirmation which includes the Zoom link and password. After the workshop, you’ll receive a pdf copy of the recipes and processes covered in the workshop
- Step-by-step demonstrations
All sales are final. Virtual Workshops are recorded, and can be shared if you miss our class. If you do not wish to be part of the recording, you may turn off your video during class.
Copyright 2021 Preserved. Any unauthorized use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this recording is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.
SLIDING SCALE ADMISSION$32.50
SLIDING SCALE ADMISSION$25.00