SOURDOUGH BREAD MAKING
So you've got a starter, and now you want to make some bread! Learn the technique for making a flavorful long-fermented dough!
Time & Location
Jul 12, 2020, 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM PDT
Live Online Event hosted on Zoom
About the Event
This introductory class walks through the steps of making a long fermented loaf of San Franscisco-style sourdough bread! What typically takes 3 days of fermentation will be expedited and demonstrated virtually so students can see first hand each step in the fermentation process. We will demonstrate and discuss preparing your sourdough starter for optimal leavening, mixing your dough, the unique sourdough kneading technique of "stretching and folding", shaping the dough, proofing, all the way to baking! As a student in this class, you have the option to either just watch and listen OR make your very own bread dough along with us!
If you'd like to participate in making your own sourdough bread, please have the following items prepped and available:
- Feed your starter the night before class. Let sit out at room temperature for 8+ hours.
- In the morning ~ 9am, combine 25 grams of your active starter (fed earlier the night before), 50 grams warm water and 50 grams whole wheat flour in a wide mouth pint or quart jar; mix until combined. Let sit out at room temperature for 6-8 hours. This is what we call the leaven.
- Give your remaining starter another feeding and refrigerate for the next use.
- At 4:30pm - 30 min before class, combine 350 grams warm water and all 125 grams leaven in a large mixing bowl. Using your fingers, gently pull the leaven apart and dissolve in the water. Add 415 grams bread flour plus 30 grams whole wheat flour. Mix until incorporated completely. Cover bowl with a towel and leave in a warm place to ferment for one hour.
- Have 2 tsp of sea salt ready to mix in during class and a small cup of water for dipping your hands into!
NOTE: you will need to tend to your dough after class until 10pm PST, and bake your loaf the next day between 10am-2pm
Classes are sliding scale $25-$40. Please pay what you can. We appreciate your support during such challenging times!
Sliding Scale I$25.00
Sliding Scale II$32.50
Sliding Scale III$40.00