JAPANESE NUKAZUKE: RICE BRAN PICKLES
Time & Location
About the Event
In this online workshop we’ll be demonstrating how to start your own Nukado, the Japanese rice-bran pickling bed! Welcome a new fermentation pet into your lives! You will be nurturing this ferment daily, and it will reward you with the most complex, umami-rich, flavor-funk, Nukazuke pickles. A mature Nuka bed can transform vegetables into pickles in a matter of hours!
You can join us during class or simply watch, take notes and create on your own time!
What you’ll learn:
- How to start, prime,troubleshoot and maintain your own Nukadoko (Japanese rice-bran pickling bed)
- Which tools you need for success
- What ingredients work best
What you’ll need to make a Nuka Bed with us:
- Large mixing bowl
- 2 quart or 4 quart wide mouth jar, bowl or crock (this will be your permanent nuka bed)
- 2 lbs dry rice bran
- 1/2 oz kombu seaweed, cut into smaller pieces
- 10 small dried chili peppers
- 1 cup sea salt
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard powder
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, minced
- about 6.5 cups of water
- 1 medium-sized root veggie (carrot, turnip, radish)
- Access to an internet ready computer or tablet
How the online workshop works
- We’ll email you a registration confirmation which includes the Zoom link and password. After the workshop, you’ll receive a pdf copy of the recipes and processes covered in the workshop
- Step-by-step demonstrations
All sales are final. Virtual Workshops are recorded, and can be shared if you miss our class. If you do not wish to be part of the recording, you may turn off your video during class.
Copyright 2020 Preserved. Any unauthorized use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this recording is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.
- ADMIT ONE$40$400$0
- SLIDING SCALE ADMISSION$32.50$32.500$0
- SLIDING SCALE ADMISSION$25$250$0