Umeboshi, the Japanese pickled plum, is a century-old superfood known for its intensely sour and salty taste. Join us for a super special workshop and learn the art of making this exceptional pickled treat!
Time & Location
May 16, 2021, 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM PDT
Live Online Event hosted on Zoom
About the Event
In this online workshop we’ll be demonstrating how to make your own homemade umeboshi from the fleeting season of Japanese ume plums. You can join us during class or simply watch, take notes and create on your own time!
What you’ll learn:
- How to prepare the ume fruit during 3 stages of preservation
- Which tools you need for success
- What ingredients work best
What you’ll need to make Umeboshi with us:
- 1/2 gallon - 1 gallon wide mouth glass jar, crock or other food-safe vessel
- Digital scale
- Toothpick or skewer
- Large ziplock bag
- About 3lbs of pickle weights (use a combination of pickle weights, bag of salt, jar full of water, etc)
- Drying mats or dehydrator (needed by ~week 6)
- 1 lb Ripe Ume Fruit (PRE-ORDER NECESSARY. LOCAL PICKUP ONLY) or check your local Asian Market or Grocery Store
- Sea salt (8-10% of the total weight of ume)
- Splash of alcohol (vodka, gin, etc)
- Fresh, red shiso leaves (needed by ~week 3)
Salting: ~2 weeks
Seasoning: ~2 weeks
Drying: 3 days
Maturing: recommended 3-12 months (or more!)
How the online workshop works
- We’ll email you a registration confirmation which includes the Zoom link and password. After the workshop, you’ll receive an email with the recipe and process covered in the workshop
- Step-by-step demonstrations
All sales are final. Virtual Workshops are recorded, and can be shared if you miss our class. If you do not wish to be part of the recording, you may turn off your video during class.
Copyright 2020 Preserved. Any unauthorized use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this recording is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.
SLIDING SCALE ADMISSION$32.50
SLIDING SCALE ADMISSION$25.00