CUCUMBER PICKLING, TWO WAYS!
Time & Location
About the Event
This is a previously recorded, live, virtual workshop from our Pandemic Preserving from Home Series. We are sharing these videos at a discounted rate for those who missed the live series. While you may not be able to ask questions in real time, you can always email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In this online workshop we’ll be demonstrating how to pickle cucumbers, in every way! Traditional fermented Kosher-style Dills and Quick Vinegar Pickled Cucumbers (dill and bread and butter style!)! You can join us during class or simply watch, take notes and create on your own time!
What you’ll learn:
- The difference between fermented and vinegar-style pickles
- The fundamentals of vegetable fermentation and quick pickling
- How to make your cucumber pickles super crisp and extra delicious
- Which tools you need for success
- What ingredients work best
What you’ll need to Pickle with us:
- Small (less than 6”) pickling cucumbers (the variety with the thick skin and warts!) Have enough to fill ~3 quart jars.
- 1 gallon filtered water
- Sea salt
- Sugar or honey (if you want to make Bread and Butter pickles)
- Dill Pickling Spice and Bread & Butter Pickling Spice or a mix of similar spices from your pantry
- Apple cider vinegar, white distilled or white wine vinegar
- 3 fresh grape leaves (ask your neighbors or visit a community garden!)
- Bunch of fresh dill
- Fermentation Pickle Weight & optional Airlock Lid; or our Small Fermenting Veggie Kit
- 2-3 quart jars
- Knife & cutting board
- Small saucepan
- Soak whole cucumbers in an ice water bath in the fridge 2-4 hours prior to class
Copyright 2020 Preserved. Any unauthorized use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this recording is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.
- Discounted Class Rate$25$250$0