SOURDOUGH STARTERS & FOCACCIA
Time & Location
About the Event
This introductory class serves as a primer on sourdough starters for those new to baking with wild yeast. Learn how to start your own culture with just flour, water and a bit of patience. If you already have a sourdough culture, we will discuss how to maintain a healthy culture, troubleshoot issues with your starter, and how to use your starter in baking recipes (from pancakes, to flatbreads, muffins and more). We will also walk through the steps of using your mature sourdough starter to make our house-favorite Sourdough Focaccia Bread!
As a student in this class, you have the option to either just watch and listen OR make your very own ferment along with us! This class is split into two parts to meet the needs of both students who don't have a starter yet and would like to learn to grow their own, and for students that already have a starter and want to learn more about sourdough starter use and care!
If you'd like to participate in making your own sourdough starter which takes 2 weeks to mature, please have the following items available:
- 16 or 32 oz wide mouth mason jar
- thin cloth, paper towel or coffee filter and a rubber band
- Organic whole wheat or rye flour
- filtered tap water
If you already have a sourdough starter, and you'd like to participate in making focaccia, please have the following items available:
- Bulk up and feed your starter the morning before class. You'll need at least 110 grams of starter, so bulk up your feeding if necessary (ex: double our feeding recipe by saving 2 tbsp starter + 6 tbsp water + 6 tbsp flour)
- 550 grams (2 cups) lukewarm water
- 750 grams (5 cups) bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 18 grams (1 tbsp) fine sea salt
- 50 grams (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil (plus more for pan and finishing)
- Large mixing bowl & mixing spoon/spatula
- Small cup of water for dipping your hands into
Note: you will be working your focaccia dough 1 hour after class, and 1-2 hours the following day.
This class is an excellent primer for our Intro to Sourdough Bread Making Class.
Classes are sliding scale $25-$40. Please pay what you can. We appreciate your support during such challenging times!
- Sliding Scale II$32.50$32.500$0
- Sliding Scale III$40$400$0