Time & Location
About the Event
In this online workshop we’ll be demonstrating how to make a batch of chickpea (garbanzo bean) miso! Chickpea miso is a fantastic all-purpose miso, slightly sweeter than traditional soy. This miso is also ready when fairly young, after about 2 months of fermentation (compared to 6-12 for traditional soy)! You can join us during class or simply watch, take notes and create on your own time!
What you’ll learn:
- How to make your own miso from a variety of legumes
- Which tools you need for success
- What ingredients work best
What you’ll need to make Chickpea Miso with us:
- 2 cups (350g) dry garbanzo beans
- 2.5 cups (440) grams barley koji or rice koji
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon sea salt plus a couple more cups for the fermentation vessel
- 1 tablespoon of unpasteurized miso (optional but recommended... got any in your fridge?!)
- 1 half-gallon sized jar or crock (or larger)
- Pickle tamper (optional)
- Access to an internet ready computer or tablet
- The morning of class, soak chickpeas for 8-12 hours in water, then drain.
- Boil the chickpeas in plenty of fresh water until soft, about one hour (or use a pressure cooker ~ 35 minutes)
- Drain and reserve cooking water. Allow to cool.
- Chickpeas should be cool to the touch before class begins. Please plan accordingly!
How the online workshop works
- We’ll email you a registration confirmation which includes the Zoom link and password. After the workshop, you’ll receive a pdf copy of the recipes and processes covered in the workshop
- Step-by-step demonstrations
All sales are final. Virtual Workshops are recorded, and can be shared if you miss our class. If you do not wish to be part of the recording, you may turn off your video during class.
Copyright 2021 Preserved. Any unauthorized use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this recording is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.
- ADMIT ONE$40$400$0
- SLIDING SCALE ADMISSION$32.50$32.500$0
- SLIDING SCALE ADMISSION$25$250$0