Time & Location
About the Event
Have you always wanted to make jam but never knew how? Are you a seasoned jam maker who wants to improve your skills? Now is the perfect time to become an expert on this time-honored craft! Join master jam maker Rachel Saunders, founder of Blue Chair Fruit and author of The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook, as she takes you through the jam making process start to finish! As a student in this class, you have the option to either just watch and listen OR make your very own pot of early summer jam as Rachel makes hers!
If you plan to make jam during class, you will need:
- 3 lbs organic blueberries, blackberries, or trimmed rhubarb cut into 1-inch lengths OR a combination thereof
- 1.5 lbs white cane sugar
- Approximately 1/2-3/4 cup lemon juice, either freshly squeezed or bottled not from concentrate (note: not Meyer lemon juice)
- 8-quart wide stainless steel soup pot, enameled cast iron dutch oven, or copper jam pan
- Large silicone or other heatproof spatula
- Oven mitts or heat-resistant gloves
- Approximately 5 clean 8oz mason jars with lids or equivalent
- Canning funnel
- Ladle or 2 small heat proof pitchers
Please note: The jam made together in this class will not be canned for long-term preserving. We will discuss methods for streilizing and canning, but the jam made in class can simply be stored in your fridge and enjoyed within a few weeks.
Classes are sliding scale $10-$40. Please pay what you can. We appreciate your support during such challenging times!
- Sliding Scale I$10$100$0
- Sliding Scale II$20$200$0
- Sliding Scale III$30$300$0
- Sliding Scale IV$40$400$0