RICOTTA & CULTURED BUTTER MAKING
Time & Location
About the Event
Learn the magic of transforming milk and cream into cheesy curds and the most flavcrful butter.
If you'd like to participate in making your own ricotta and butter along with us please have the following items available:
- 1/2 gallon of whole milk - avoid UHT (ultra-high temperature pasteurized) milk. Local Bay Area brands like Strauss, Alexandre and St. Benoit recommended
- Sea salt
- 1/3-1/2 cup lemon juice, white distilled vinegar, or citric acid
- Large 1 gallon stock pot
- Silicone or other heat proof spatula
- Large colander or strainer
- A couple feet of muslin cloth or a fine woven cheesecloth to line the colander or strainer
Make Cultured Cream (to transform into butter during class)
1-2 days before class combine 1 pint of heavy cream with 2 tbsp unflavored live yogurt in a clean 1-quart jar. Cover jar with a thin cloth and secure with a rubber band. Let ferment at room temperature, out of direct sunlight. Stir 1-2 times a day. Take note, the cream will naturally thicken. This is ok! Keep at room temperature to use in class and have the jar lid handy.
Classes are sliding scale $10-$40. Please pay what you can. We appreciate your support during such challenging times!
- Sliding Scale I$10$100$0
- Sliding Scale II$20$200$0
- Sliding Scale III$30$300$0
- Sliding Scale IV$40$400$0