INTRO TO SOURDOUGH STARTERS & FOCACCIA
Time & Location
About the Event
This introductory class serves as a primer on sourdough starters for those new to baking with wild yeast. Learn how to start your own culture with just flour, water and a bit of patience. If you already have a sourdough culture, we will discuss how to maintain a healthy culture, troubleshoot issues with your starter, and how to use your starter in baking recipes (from pancakes, to flatbreads, muffins and more). We will also walk through the steps of using your mature sourdough starter to make our house-favorite Sourdough Focaccia Bread!
This class is an excellent primer for our Making Sourdough Bread Class.
Classes are sliding scale $10-$40. Please pay what you can. We appreciate your support during such challenging times!
If you'd like to participate in making your own sourdough starter, please have the following items available:
- 16 or 32 oz wide mouth mason jar
- thin cloth, paper towel or coffee filter and a rubber band
- whole grain organic flour
- filtered tap water
If you already have a sourdough sourdough starter, and you'd like to participate in making focaccia, please have the following items available:
- Bulk up and feed your starter the morning before class. You'll need at least 110 grams of starter, so bulk up your feeding if necessary
- 550 grams (2 cups) lukewarm water
- 750 grams (5 cups) bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 18 grams (1 tbsp) fine sea salt
- 50 grams (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan and finishing
- Coarse or flaky salt for finishing
- For the brine: 5 grams (1 tsp) fine sea salt and 80 grams (⅓ cup) lukewarm water
- Sliding Scale I$10$100$0
- Sliding Scale II$20$200$0
- Sliding Scale III$30$300$0
- Sliding Scale IV$40$400$0